Thursday 1 October 2015

GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES

GERUNDS
We use gerunds:
INFINITIVES WITH “TO”
We use infinitives with “to”:
1. After some verbs:
like                      dislike
enjoy                    can´t stand
love                      hate
don´t mind            prefer
detest                   deny
avoid                      practise
imagine                  miss
recommend           suggest
continue                finish
miss                     admit

They suggested staying at the hotel.
1. After some verbs:
want             help     
need            plan
decide          learn
agree            hope
offer              refuse
wait              appear
choose        promise
seem           try
The guard refused to let them in.
I wanted to go to the party.
She learnt to drive in 3 weeks.
I hope to begin college this year.
2. After prepositions:
They were accused of stealing in a shop.
Sue isn´t very good at playing tennis.
He is interested in collecting stamps.
They often talk about travelling to China.
2. After some adjectives.
I´m happy to meet you.
I´m afraid to touch the snake.
I´m ready to go.
I´m very sad to hear the news.
3. As the subject of a sentence.
Using a computer saves a lot of time.
Smoking is bad for your health.
Studying online is very convenient.
Getting a job isn´t easy nowadays.
Jogging is very popular in big cities.
3. To explain the purpose of an action (“para”)
I sat down to rest.
I´m going abroad to learn English.
I got up early to study for the exam.
I moved to a new flat to be near my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment